Marco Santilli cl, bcl, comp
Lorenzo Frizzera g
Ivan Tibolla p, acc
Fulvio Maras perc
I wanted a jazz quartet but without the typical rhythm section. Removing such a fundamental instrument like the bass was done to provoke new dynamics and hierarchies for the interplay between the musicians. Its part then is interpreted in turns by the guitar, piano or bass clarinet, putting the predictable balances up for grabs.
Minor tones prevail for numbers often autumnal in character, such as “The eye of the birch” that gives the album its title, perhaps because, as Karl Leister (clarinettist of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra) said: “the clarinet is an autumnal instrument”. An opinion I share inasmuch as it can best express the atmosphere related to what this season makes me feel, especially in a certain dark sonorousness; melancholic but never sad.
In addition to Lorenzo Frizzera’s twelve string guitar, which lends an unusual fullness to the sound of the Quartet, more amazing colours and food for thought are provided by Ivan Tibolla’s evocative and ominous Glockenspiel in the variations on the name Hesse; also by his solemn accordion in Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none, a Shakespearean quote with which I identify a lot; and the sound of Fulvio Maras playing the hang in Agasul, an exotic percussion instrument for an exotic place, yet both are strictly … Swiss!
- Follow this link to see the trailer of L’occhio della betulla;
- Follow this link to watch the live performances of “L’occhio della betulla“, “Agasul“, “Variationen über den Namen Hesse“.
- Interview at Swiss Radio RSI-Retedue, Incontro con Marco Santilli 10.05.17;
- CD presentation at Swiss Radio RSI-Retedue, Le note blu. Please search for the Puntata 05.03.17;
- JAZZ’N’MORE: CD Review, February 2017;
- BIRD IS THE WORM: CD Review, 18.02.17;
- proTicino: 2 nuovi CD di Marco Santilli, 26.02.17;
- tio/20 minuti: CheRoba! Con Santilli arriva la primavera, 02.03.17;
- AZIONE: Jazz in libertà tra stufa e betulla, 20.03.17;
- tio/20 minuti: L’occhio della betulla musica fresca al Museo, 21.03.17;
- tio/20 minuti: L’occhio della betulla in anteprima al Vela, 23.03.17;
- EXTRA del Corriere del Ticinio: Ma che roba signor Santilli, 23-30.03.17;
- Ticino7: Sette domande a Marco Santilli, 11.08.17;
- laRegione: Marco Santilli tra Nord e Sud, 21.09.17;
- CD Recommendation of Bird is the Worm, 28.11.17;
- Jazz Podium: CD Review «L’occhio della betulla» und «La Stüa», December 2017;
Expo Milano 2015, Festival der Stille, Jazzmusik in Sarnen, Museo Vela Ligornetto, Kulturkeller La Marotte, Schweizerisches Landesmuseum Zürich, Ciclo “Limite” – Commissione culturale del Liceo di Bellinzona.